Know Your Builder
James A. Bateman CGR, GMB, GMR, CGP, CAPS, CR, CKD, CBD, NGBS Verifier
Manager, Bateman Custom Construction, LLC
Building Beyond Your Expectations
5217 Concordia St., Fairfax Va 22032
Va Class A 2705 078664A, BLD ESC
Educational and Training Experience in Engineering, Designer, and Construction:
- 1964-1969 Earned a Bachelor of Aerospace Engineering and M.S. in Aerospace Systems Engineering from Georgia Tech. Graduated with a 3.3 GPA and inducted into 3 honor societies.
- 1968-1990 22 year military career as a distinguished Naval Aviator; a Procurement Specialist for Naval Aviation Training Systems; a Deputy Director for the Navy’s Quality Assurance, Reliability, and Maintainability Program under the Secretary of the Navy’s office; the Director for the Government-Industry Data Exchange Program. Assisted in the development and implementation of the Navy’s Total Quality Management of Weapon System Procurement.
- 1989-present Established Bateman Custom Construction, LLC
Obtained industry recognized certifications and have maintained them through continuing education (CEU’s) for the following:
- Certified Graduate Remodelor, CGR, from the National Association of Home Building (NAHB)
- Graduate Master Builder, GMB, from NAHB
- Graduate Master Remodeler, GMR, fron NAHB
- Certified Green Professional, CGP, from NAHB
- Certified Aging in Place Specialist, CAPS, from NAHB
- Certified Remodelor. CR, from the National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI)
- Certified Kitchen Designer, CKD, from the National Kitchen and Bath Association (NKBA)
- Certified Bath Designer, CBD, from the National Kitchen and Bath Association (NKBA)
- Verifier for the National Green Building Standard, NGBS, for the Home Innovations (formally NAHB) Research Center
Active member of the following professional organizations:
- Northern Virginia Builder Industry Association (NVBIA), regional chapter of Home Builders Association (HBA) of VA, and National Association of Home Builders (NAHB).
- Washington Metro chapter of NARI
- Baltimore-Washington chapter of NKBA
- Senior Member of the Society of Professional Real Estate Inspectors (SPREI) (not licensed nor practicing in Virginia)
- Associate Member of VA Building Code Officials Association (VBCOA)
- Member BBB of Metro Washington DC
- Member of the Association of Interior Design Professionals (AIDP)
Leadership positions held in the following:
- Past President and Founding member of Construction Technology Education Foundation (CTEF)
- Chairman for the Remodelor’s Council of the Northern Virginia Builder Industry Association (NVBIA)
- Instructor for VA State approved courses in Basic and Advanced Contractor Licensing, and the Tradesman (Electrical, Plumbing, Mechanical, and Gas) Continuing Education Courses for the Northern Va Community College, Manassas.
- Manager, Bateman Custom Construction, LLC
Completed courses, seminars and training in the following:
- Building Codes
- Building Structures
- Building Science
- Moisture Control
- Structured Wiring
- Construction Management
- Construction Scheduling
- Construction Estimating
- Construction Accounting and Financial Management
- Construction Contract Law
- Employee Management, wage and hour law
- Lighting Design
- Ceramic Tile/Stone Installation
- Kitchen and Bathroom Design
- Aging-in-Place Design
- Customer Relations
- Time Management
- Land Development
- Negotiating Skills
- OSHA (VOSH) Safety
- Job site first aid and CPR
- Vendor/supplier/Manufacturer training specific to their products
- Green Building Practices
- Verification of the Green Guidelines and the National Green Building Standard.
Hands-on Experience in Designing, Engineering and Construction:
- 1960-1962 Helped with some aspects of building the family home: General labor, roofing, cedar shake siding, painting, hardwood flooring manufacturing, foundation seal coating, excavation and backfilling. Followed electricians and plumbers around the job site, learning through observation.
- 1971-1972 Designed and built his own home as a general contractor and personally did the following work: Built 140ft of sea wall, hand made decorative bricks, built foundations, footers, and masonry walls, built brick patio, installed whole house stereo and out door lighting to code.
- 1968-1990 Upon moving to each new duty station Jim built new homes or remodeled a residence. Each time he would pull all required permits and do all the work m himself: carpentry, structural repairs, finish carpentry, drywall work, electrical, plumbing, gas, roofing, siding, flooring, etc.
- 1989-present Bateman Custom Construction (BCC) established with a VA class A license as a sole proprietorship. BCC is a Design-Build, full-line remodeling, residential and light commercial company now licensed as an LLC in Virginia with business licenses in Fairfax, Arlington, Alexandria counties in VA, and Montgomery county in Maryland. Jim has personally designed and built many of BCC projects as well as having had employees and utilized subcontractors for BCC’s jobs. Additionally he has performed the hands-on work on virtually every aspect of the wide range of our remodeling projects. Jim has also been called as an expert witness for both the customer and contractors.